Monday, March 7, 2011

The Elephant Show

So my travels finally landed me in Jaipur, where I was promised something I've been craving since I learned I'd be going to India - a ride on an elephant. Specifically, at Amber Fort where aneElephant would carry you up the steep hill to the courtyard

What I was not promised is the line-up! It stretched forever. My guide is subtly trying to talk me out of it. "Are you sure you want to wait? The line is over an hour long...and they only let the elephants go up and down so many times before closing the attraction down" Which, incidently, is a good rule to not overload the beasts with which I agree, but...WHERE'S MY ELEPHANT?

So I waited nervously for, what turned out to indeed be an hour. But before I knew it, I was being helped on to a caparisoned elephant. So cool!

Here my driver's review: Slow, noticeable swaying back-and-forth - be sure to stay balanced. Smelly. Seat belts not included on the standard model - use 'holding on for dear life' instead. AC included via sucking up water through the trunk (nose appendage, not storage compartment) and spraying it everywhere like rain. Excellent durability, expect your model to last over 50 years.

As for the ride, it lasted about 5 or 10 minutes, including an pachyderm traffic-jam at a participially narrow part. Enterprising cameramen lie in wait along the route to snap your photo while simultaneously negotiating rates for them with you. "Ali Baba! Ali Baba!", they'd call to me, using my standard nickname when people want to charm me into giving them money, '"500 rupees!" Which is a ridiculous price - over 20 bucks - I later got two pics for the real going rater of 50 rupees a piece.

I'd love to share the photos with you, but first need to locate a scanner. Until then, if you've ever wondered what it's like to pass a camel at 120kph, here you go. (We were going 120, not the camel...)


UPDATE: Elllllllephant!


No comments:

Post a Comment