Saturday, March 5, 2011

Un-delhi-vable!

So today I started my whirlwind tour of Northern India in earnest, beginning with Delhi itself. I decked myself out with a guide and driver and took off.

The first stop turned out to be my favourite - Qutab Minar. This fantastic and old tower stands 72m tall and is breathtakingly beautiful. I just loved it. And the surrounding grounds and building were just as stunning. Not to mention all the greenery. Since Delhi is the seat of government, they make sure that they pump enough water into the ground to keep the trees and grass nice all year round. Quite a change from dry Pune.

I have to check my itinerary just to remember the rest of the things I saw, but the Jamma Mosque (biggest mosque in Asia,) the Red Fort, the Government buildings and Humayum's tomb. All impressive in their own right.

I also got my first ride on cycle-rickshaw. This man-powered contraption propelled me through the crowded streets of Old Delhi. I grabbed a samosa on the through, and ate as we bumped and swerved through the streets. We also pulled a left turn across 4 lanes of busy, fast-moving traffic. My comfort level with Indian traffic was apparent as I chose to record a video of the turn instead of fearing for my life as a sane person would do.

Before I knew it, it was time to take the long road to Agra. Five hours later, and I am at yet another hotel, resting and recuperating for an early rise tomorrow. But I don't mind, because awaiting me is something I've wanted to see for a long time - the Taj Majal.

No comments:

Post a Comment