Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hockey Night in India

Yesterday we knocked off of work early and hopped in a couple of vans and headed towards Surya Shibir for a company picnic. After following the winding, potholed roads for what I've been assured was only 40 kilometers, but felt more like 4,000, we arrived to this estate filled with a million different things to do and play with.

We conquered an obstacle course,  crushed each other at ping-pong and badminton. We played childhood games like Kick the Can and Lagori. (Guess which culture is represented by each.)  I played my first game of Carrom, in which you flick disks around the board and try to sink them in pockets like pool. In theory - for me, it mostly involved missing wildly.

But the highlight for me is when we broke out the mini-sticks I brought for everyone and competed in the first ever game of mini-stick hockey on Indian soil. (I possibly just made that up, but it seems likely.) Regardless, they took to it with a gusto and there were bodies colliding and dust flying everywhere. The best part is when our Indian friends starting arguing amongst each other over who was offside, with much chirping from all parties.Of course, I had never explained the offside rules, but that certainly didn't stop them!






All in all, it was a great evening. Perhaps next time I'll teach 'em curling?

1 comment: